2018 Sessions Update

Forum 2018 Session Newsletter

Wow! We can’t believe Forum 2018 is over for yet another year! Again, we were amazed and inspired by all of our participants…you truly are an incredible group of young Canadian leaders!

Please join us in taking a look back at Forum 2018…

SESSION HIGHLIGHTS

• Senator Round Tables

PHOTO: Senate of Canada

The Senate Round-tables, a new and exciting addition this year, proved a highlight for participants. Students discussed and debated issues they were passionate about with Senators. These breakout sessions following the breakfast in the Senate foyer and a visit with the Speaker in the Senate Chamber. Thank you Senate of Canada for your participation and ongoing support of Forum!

• Blanket exercise presented by Kairos

2018 participants had the privilege to participate in the Blanket Exercise presented by Kairos. The Blanket Exercise is intended to share the historic and contemporary relationship between indigenous and non-indigenous peoples in Canada. Students, staff and volunteers found the interactive experience eye-opening, emotional and inspiring.

• ONE Campaign and Advocacy

New in 2018, ONE Campaign engaged students on what it means to do advocacy work here in Canada and abroad. This was an eye-opening experience for participants and they came away with new skills and tools on how to engage politicians on issues that are important to them as young Canadians. The ONE Campaign also organized an optional full day of advocacy after session 2 that built on these themes that many students participated in.

• Role of a Minister/ MP Alumni Panel

This year, we were honoured to welcome a special panel of Forum Alumni including the Hon. Mélanie Joly, the Hon. Seamus O’Regan, Greg Fergus and Shannon Stubbs to Forum. Not only did they speak about their roles as Parliamentarians, they spoke about life after Forum and how they used their Forum experience as a stepping stone in reaching their goals.

Students presented their member statements inside the House of Commons this year, a privilege we may not see again for 10 years or more as Centre Block shuts down for renovations in 2019!

Thank you House of Commons for this incredible opportunity and for your ongoing support of Forum. Sitting in the House and engaging with the Speaker is always the top highlight during sessions.

FORUM BY THE NUMBERS

Forum’s 325 students traveled to Ottawa from all across Canada. They came from both rural and urban communities, and represented a wide variety of perspectives and views.

1/3 from rural communities

24% were visible minorities

15 students with a disability (physical and/or mental) participated

41% of 2018 students indicated they were bilingual

Reconciliation, a strong theme

30 Indigenous students (First Nations, Inuit and Metis) participated at Forum this year! Some had the honour of meeting with Chief Perry Bellegarde, the national chief of the Assembly of First Nations. Hunter from Thompson, Manitoba, addressed many MPs, Forum partners and other guests on issues he is passionate about as an Indigenous youth in today’s Canadian society. Thank you all for sharing your voices and enriching the Forum experience for all participants!

SOCIAL MEDIA STATS

• Over 100 views on each Forum4YC Instagram story posted during sessions
  • All member statements from each session were livestreamed on our Instagram and Facebook
  • Our very own Snapchat filter was used 337 times with over 5k views

MP INTERACTIONS

• A total of 116 MPs were in attendance at our MP Receptions, some coming to all three receptions
  • 23 MP visits were separately organized by our logistic volunteers
  • A total of 159 students had the opportunity to meet their MP!
  • One student had the special honour of meeting our Prime Minister the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau!

STUDENT QUOTES

“we hope to see this program continue to grow and prosper so that generations after us will also… get this opportunity to develop skills and interact with people all over the country.”

-Session 3 Participants

“Within six days I feel that I have never been more motivated, challenged, encouraged, and inspired to do better for myself and for my community.”

-Emily, QC

“I am coming back to Quebec with so many tool[s] but most of all with immense optimism for the future of Canada. Forum is an Amazing opportunity to learn about the work of our government and I feel overwhelming gratitude to the people that made my trip possible.”

-Félix-Gabriel, QC

“Forum is absolutely UNFORGETTABLE.Trying to describe it would be almost impossible. No words can compare to the knowledge, experience, opportunity and lifelong friendships gained at Forum”

-Abby, AB

“My forum experience was amazing. It was an excellent way to broaden my perspective, gain powerful knowledge, learn about myself and my country and how powerful and influential my voice is as long as I have the courage to use it.”

-Anastasia, ON

“I loved the diversity, being in an environment with people from all over the country was an amazing experience”

-Rachel, NS

“Forum was engaging, enriching, and connected me with new friends from across the country. This unforgettable and impactful week gave me incredible insight into our parliamentary democracy and honed my sense of civic responsibility.”

-Sean, ON

“Forum is a program that transcends ages, ethnicities and languages. I discovered that each fellow participant had immense passion, articulation speaking skills and a heart of true gold. Through the beautiful city of Ottawa, I learned that politics is engaging, inspiring and innovative. It truly has been an experience to remember.”

-Sarthak, AB

FRIENDS OF FORUM

Forum would not be possible without the support of its many partners. Over 100 volunteers and 50 partners contributed to the Forum for Young Canadians in 2018 alone. Their dedication and support of the program facilitates student learning and empowerment. With their dedication and support, Forum has remained Canada’s premier youth civic engagement program for over 42 amazing years.

See full list of partners and sponsors below.

Alumni Reunion at Forum:

PHOTO: Greg Kolz

Staff, Group Leaders, Logistic Assistants, volunteers, sponsors, partners, MP’s and other alumni of Forum reunited at the Session 3 MP Reception this year to help give back to the Forum community to ensure it is keeps growing strong! Alumni from 1978, 1984, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1997, 2004, 2006 to name but a few, were in attendance!

Thanks for making Forum 2018 a success!

It’s time to get excited for Forum 2019! Follow us on social media and spread the Forum opportunity to an engaged young person in your life.

Invest in the Future of Canada

Questions? Contact us today

(613) 233-4086