What is Forum for Young Canadians?
Forum is a bilingual, non-partisan, week-long program which occurs three times per year. During each session, young people aged 15 to 19 years from across Canada come together to:
- Deepen their understanding of the national decision-making process in Canada
- Share ideas and acquire tools for community engagement
- Network and discuss social issues and policy with parliamentarians and youth from across the country
Who can participate in Forum?
Any 15 to 19 year-old student enrolled in a secondary school or a CÉGEP during the year of the program, or any home-schooled student of the same age.
How many participants take part every year?
320 participants over three sessions participate every year.
Where does Forum take place?
When will the program take place?
Dates for the 2020 sessions are as follows:
- Sunday, February 2 to Friday, February 7, 2020
- Sunday, March 8 to Friday, March 13, 2020
- Sunday, March 22 to Friday, March 27, 2020
When is the deadline to apply?
November 30, 2019 @ 5:00pm EST.
What is the cost of a Forum session?
What does this fee include?
All expenses during the week, including:
- Hotel accommodation
- All meals
- Instructional materials
- Transportation within Ottawa, by bus
Travel costs to and from Ottawa are covered by Exchanges Canada
How can I pay for my experience?
- Many students conduct fundraising (we send a useful fundraising manual to everyone we accept).
- Students may apply for bursaries.
- Schools may cover part of the cost to attend.
How many students per room?
1 to 3. Each student has their own bed. Single rooms are available at an additional cost.
Are the rooms gender-mixed ?
No, rooms are unisex.
Who assigns the rooms?
Forum staff places students in rooms in order to facilitate networking between individuals from different parts of the country.
Are students from Ottawa still required to pay the full amount and stay in the hotel?
Yes. Ottawa students are required to pay the same admission fee of $995. Travel to and from Ottawa is covered by Exchanges Canada. The $995 fee does not include travel fare. That fee covers accommodation, meals, transportation within Ottawa and programming for the entire week.
Participants are required to stay in the hotel in order for all to share the same experience. A huge part of Forum is getting to know your fellow peers from across the country, and by staying in the hotel those connections can grow stronger.
Can I take part in Forum more than once?
No, but you can participate as a volunteer to relive the Forum experience.
Will I be absent from school?
Yes. To participate in a session of Forum, you will be absent from school for an entire week.
What security measures are set up by Forum?
- A student manual outlining security measures is given to every student at Forum .
- First Aid Certified volunteers are available 24 hours a day for the entire session.
- Security guards patrol the hotel overnight.
- Staff and volunteers must undergo a vulnerable sector police records check prior to sessions of Forum.
How are the students supervised?
During sessions, group of ten students are assigned to their own group leader. Other members of the Foundation team and volunteers are also available to support students.
What is the difference between a Foundation and a Forum volunteer?
A volunteer of the Foundation will have various tasks that may take place throughout the year in connection with sessions or other events. A Forum volunteer has specific responsibilities during the sessions.
How are volunteers trained?
Volunteers of the Forum program receive in-person and online training before the sessions, whereas volunteers of the Foundation will receive training when they initially arrive at the Foundation office.
Can I use my volunteering experience at Forum/the Foundation to complete my mandatory school volunteer program?
Can I choose my schedule as a volunteer?
You can choose your schedule if you are a volunteer for the Foundation. As a Forum volunteer, you can choose your position but you must fulfill your time commitments.
What types of volunteers are there at Forum?
- Group Leaders (Attend the entire week, lead groups of students)
- Logistic Assistants (Attend the entire week, work on specific supporting tasks)
- Forum support (Choose their schedule, complete tasks while fulfilling their time commitments)
Are there conditions to becoming a volunteer?
You must undergo a Vulnerable Sector Check through your local police department.
If you have any other questions:
Please contact us at: (613) 233-4086 extension 108 or at the following address: [email protected]